Friday, April 03, 2009

In Praise of Kilometres!

This year I am trying to make a concerted effort to stay fit. Before I did my back in I got pretty good at running but since 2006 it has been difficult to get back into the swing of things again. Anyway as a belated New Year's resolution I'm heading down to the gym at Guy's Hospital on a regular(ish) basis. I've been a member at The Fitness Centre since 1991 and used to get there at least once and usually twice a week. The peak of my accomplishments was to run 10 Kilometres in under 50 minutes - I'll let you be the judge if that is respectable for a middle aged man or not!

Then in 2006 I was laid low with sciatica for months and never really recovered that level of fitness. Anyway I'm determined to fight back. The gym is only small and unpretentious but I like it; especially on a morning when its quiet. The sub has just gone up to £24 per month so I have an incentive to get my money's worth now!

Aren't Kilometres great? Unlike Miles, which are a pain to do, I can pound away on the treadmill at a fair old clip - double figures on the speedo and see the distance covered click by at an encouraging rate. I'm converted!

Ten minute run at 10.8kph covered 1.78k. Okay that's my baseline - I'll keep you posted!

Weight 91.3kg... not bad, not bad at all!

No comments: