Friday, March 06, 2009

"The Shack" by Wm Paul Young
is a surprise bestseller and is doing the rounds within Christian circles, often hailed as a modern day "Pilgrim's Progress" no less!

It is "notoriously difficult to write a good review about a bad book" and I appreciate that this particular book has touched a lot of peoples' hearts. But I believe that they have not so much had an encounter with God but with a candy floss deity who reflects our own post modern values back to us.

The embittered hero, Mack, is invited to meet with God in "The Shack" which is where his young daughter was murdered several years previously. He encounters God in a variety of incarnations and is profoundly changed as a consequence. In my opinion, while the book does contain the odd nugget of gold (more ably expressed elsewhere) it is in truth a sentimental journey into the sort of God our age craves. As such it says much more about ourselves than it ever reveals about God.

This God is so respectful of human rights that he would never violate them; he refuses power because that is coercive by definition. (The Church is a power structure - of course!) God so loves mankind and respects its independence so much he limits himself against any responsibility for events, to interfere would be a denial of love. Given the book's plot presumably God is too loving to intervene to rescue the young daughter. (The problem of evil is not so easily answered!) I would imagine most grieving parents would rather God was a bit less 'respectful' and a bit more intervening. Either way the hero seems satisfied with this as an explanation. Indeed why should Shack-God intervene anyway? The God of The Shack isn't even vaguely disappointed with anyone because S/he has no 'expectations of humanity only expectancy' whatever that means! Presumably Shack-God is not even disappointed with the serial killer!

The God of The Shack will not judge sin (if there is such a thing) because 'it is its own punishment'. I don't see in the book how this principle is worked out in the life of the child's murderer. And it is a curious fact that the author concludes the novel by having the serial killer caught and imprisoned. When push comes to shove we all actually crave some sort of justice. We do want God to be angry when cruelty and evil are encountered: in fact it would be amoral if He wasn't angry. Shack-God never gets angry. We all know that the axiom of sin being its own punishment doesn't work in the real world and the author knows it too otherwise the book's conclusion would have been different. Again doesn't this reflect our society's conflicted view of sin? We want justice but we are not prepared to take the responsibility of making a judgment; we have a 'don't get involved' and 'don't be judgmental' approach to situations. Our post-modern world makes a virtue out of not caring and Shack-God's respectful 'hands off' approach to Mankind is in reality indifference by another name. Thank God Jesus did not look on the world with "benign neglect"!

In Shack-world there is no concept of sin or evil - it seems that being 'messed up' emotionally is the closest we ever get to it. We are somehow the victims of our circumstances. In this context forgiveness is a self-help therapy to get over those who have hurt us: forgiveness is never something of which we are in need of course. Which means that sin (in so far as it exists at all) is never a description of ourselves but always of someone other than us. Well, The Shack isn't exactly breaking new ground there is it? Everyone "otherises" evil don't they?

The Shack has no Cross. At the heart of the Christian faith is the Cross which reveals how God demonstrates his love for us; at the Cross His perfect love as expressed by his outrage at evil is reconciled with His perfect love as expressed in mercy.

The Shack is a cross-less christianity and consequently it is also graceless. There is a poor understanding of sin (which is odd given the occasion for this divine encounter!) and there is no concept of God's holiness. In the Bible when people encounter God they are profoundly shaken by His prescence. They are deeply conscious of their own unworthiness and are awed by God and are changed as a consequence. But this is not the God the world - or even some Christians - feel is marketable.

Mack's wife, Nan, is mentioned tangentially as a nurse who works on a cancer ward and who, as a Christian, has written about the subject of 'suffering'. I would have been curious to know how her theology held up under the pain she was feeling and, indeed, how Mack related to her spiritual understanding. That might have been a segue into the pastoral issues surrounding evil, suffering and redemption but it wasn't a path the book took us down.

As I said earlier; this book reflects our own sorry age, God is reduced to a therapeutic agent for those of us who recognise that we are 'messed up'. Was it my imagination or does Shack-God keep using the catch-phrase of Dr Phil McGraw "how's that working for you?" as the hero's behaviour is put under the spot light? Please don't get me wrong; I like "Dr Phil" (a US TV psychiatrist) I just don't think our model of God should be drawn from day-time TV.

At one point in the book Mack is reassured that the murdered daughter isn't really out of his family's life because they will continue to encounter her in their dreams! This is only one example of the cloyingly sentimental approach of the author. It is a gooey, sticky, candy floss God we encounter here, all sweetness and no substance. It is not a book I would give to any grieving parent.

The book's advocates promise an exploration of evil and redemption, it promises much and delivers little.... what we actually encounter is a godless deity who incarnates our society's value system.

5 comments:

Zawir Al-Hamidi said...

This book looks interesting. I really love the highly-imaginative book.

Tim James said...

Hi Pete,

I have just read The Shack and I have found it a very helpful story to reflect upon. I think your analysis of this book is a little harsh, and some of your points I struggle with. I think the important thing to remember is that this is not a theology book or the bible itself (i.e -Gospel message). It is a story (somewhat fictious in parts), where the author is trying to make some links between humans and the God of the universe. I think we need to critique this book for what it is, and not try and make it "fit" into what we want it to be as Christians who perhaps know the scriptures well.

There were aspects of The Shack that I thought were weak, like yourself, and a little "loose". I would agree that there is a significant lack of focus on the cross. However, I think the cross is related to in terms of the books reference to Jesus's sacrifice, which I personally saw in several places. As Christians I believe the cross is central to our faith and the Gospel. But I also believe we have a message of God's love and the freedom that is available to us through Jesus. As conservatives, we get a little too cross-focused sometimes. I'm not saying the cross isn't important. But what I'm saying is...let's not just make the good news about the cross. I also think that the Shack-God was angry and upset with Missy's killer. The Shack-God makes it clear to Mack that it WAS NOT OK what the killer did. However, it's not our place/duty to be judge - it's Gods! That doesn't mean that judge's in our legal system shouldn't make judgements. God has called us to rule the land and over the fish of the sea etc etc. I think the book here is trying to pull out something special (which is seen in the scriptures too) - it's relating to the attitude within our hearts and how our judgement over others can cause us to be proud and "look down" on others and therefore causes us to not love and then enter sin (like the Pharasees). I particularly related well to this part - because I have recently seen how I do this to my own parents because of things they did in the past which hurt me significantly. That's my take on that part of The Shack.

I particularly loved the imagery of Gods love for every single person in the world. I can understand that some people will find the imagery in this book very difficult or a little cringe worthy. But God is a God of love and we see in Song of Solomens particular wording that is very lovey-duvey! And so lovey-duvey language is ok and is used in the bible. I Also think God loves it when we speak to Him from our hearts in a way that expresses love to Him. Heart/intimate language is cringe worthy. It's the kind of stuff we say to our own wives probably when we meet with them intimately, but not so much publically. But one thing I would say is this....I don't go around all week talking to Rachael is a lovey-duvey way. There are specific times when me and Rachael are intimate and our language is different. And I think that's the same with our relationship with our God. There will be some specific times when it's good to speak to God and declare our love for him in a particular way (perhaps in Worship songs for example!). Whilst at other times...it's "general conversation", normal walking down the street chat with Him. I believe The Shack does focus on the lovey-duvey side a lot, but I think it's great to realise that we have a GOD OF LOVE.I don't think this kind of love language makes God seem weak, I just think it's amazing that we can relate in this kind of way with our holy God. It's a way that many religions can't relate too/speak too God.

Overall I would personally recommend anyone to read The Shack. I'm going to buy a copy for each member of my family to read, because they all have two bibles each in there homes and won't read those sadly! So perhaps The Shack can be used in a good way to introduce God to non-Christians and then to lead them to explore God more fully through an Alpha or Christianity Explored course (Or to read the bible itself!).

The shack doesn't perhaps explain the Gospel as good as the scriptures do, but then again, I'm not sure I personally say it any better when I speak of God to non-christians! So I think God will use The Shack for good and hopefully bring many children back into relationship with Him through Jesus.

Just my thoughts!

Good to see you the other day, and I hope Kenya goes well this time around.

God bless,
Tim.

swiftypete said...

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your well thought out opinions about my review - I genuinely appreciate all feed-back.

First up, let me say that I am a real fan of any attempt to popularise the message of the Gospel and I am prepared to allow some degree of latitude in such an effort. I can honestly say that I did read "The Shack" in a generous spirit and hoped that it would open a window onto the Gospel of Jesus Christ for a world unfamiliar with Christian jargon.

Sadly I have to disagree with your analysis. I do not believe that the author of "The Shack" does make that link between us and God: it is not "a good introduction to God".

I am aware of my own conservative presuppositions and I realise the need not to impose them on a work of fiction; but I do believe that there should be some sort of "fit" between our suffering and The Cross if our understanding of such pain is to be understood Christianly. I struggle to see how one can over-emphasise The Cross in the Christian life per se; and extra especialially in the context of our own suffering.

I must apologise if I was too provocative in my language; it was not my intention to suggest that what the killer did was OKAY with God but rather to suggest that anger and out-rage is not inappropriate for a God of love. I did seem to me that Shack-God's response was inadequate to say the least. Love - and a love of Justice - does require absolute outrage not mere 'disappointment of expectation'!

I do take the point about "not judging others", yet it seems to me that the author still leaves the door open to 'otherise' evil. Evil is always treated as something "other" to ourselves. But that is the profoundest difference between the Christian Gospel and other World "Religions" - the Christian says "I am just as Guilty" - whereas other faiths say the evil ones are outside our community!

I'm sorry Tim but I disagree with your analysis; Shack-God says EXACTLY what all other religions do - a Cross-less message always will!

Thanks for the good wishes on the medical mission to Nairobi in May.
We had a great time last year didn't we - maybe next time huh?
God Bless,
Pete.

Tim James said...

Thanks Pete for getting back to me.
I know from chatting to you in the past that I agree and support your theology of Christianity (especially the cross), but I just wonder if a book like "The Shack" speaks to perhaps different people, with different personalities? I'm very fond of the book, but under no doubt that it IS NOT the full gospel message. I understand your analysis of the book, and I would probably say on the back of your response, that I sympathise with both our points of view!!!! Crazy!
As for your email you sent - thanks. But I didn't really understand your "soul" bit, nor did Rachael. Bit academic for me. You'll need to explain that one to me in person!
Good to chat.
God Bless and speak soon,
Tj.

swiftypete said...

Hi Tim,
I guess I should have attempted to define what I meant by "soul" when I said 'The Shack' lacked it.

A book may touch one's heart but if it lacks truth it is merely indulging in sentimentality at best. (At worst; it may be being manipulative!)

A book may be intellectually stimulating but if it makes no connection with one personally then it will be 'academic' in the sense of being inconsequential.

So "soul" (at least for me) means something which has the ability to connect heart and mind by being truthful in such a way that connections are made with my own experience of life. For example John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" constantly makes such connections engaging the reader's own spiritual experience with the Bible text and consequently acheiving something quite remarkable; the reader is enabled to make connections between their own life and the wider context of God's actions in human history. "Soul" is how my story fits with God's story!