Sunday, January 17, 2010

AVATAR.

Yesterday I went to seen the movie "Avatar" in 3D - stunning movie with very imaginative CGI. It was a long movie but I didn't feel that it was long, the action kept me entertained right the way through.
The storyline about the Military-Industrial Complex destroying the nature loving/tree hugging inhabitants of the beautiful world of 'Pandora' is ho-hum. I suppose it is meant to be a parable for our times. The takeaway message is that all living things are fundamentally interconnected and that by diminishing nature we ultimately only hurt ourselves, Humanity needs to live in harmony with Nature.
This is all very charming of-course, but the problem I have with such nature worship is that the Nature we have in mind is not nature as it truly is, cruel and arbitrary, but a sanitised version that is majestic and fundamentally good. Maybe the message is 'computer generated' too!
I must go find a tree to hug now!

PS 2nd Feb 2010. I see that Avatar has been nominated for best film Oscar - I guess it will win for its sheer novelty value. The CGI is very good in 3D but I did hear the plot described as "Pocahontas in Space" which I thought was very apt until I heard Mark Kermode call it "Dances with Smurfs"! Priceless.
It seems to me that there is a lot of nonsense about Avatar being the most succesful movie ever on the basis that it has taken the most in ticket receipts - firstly cinemas are charging a premium for the 3D aspect of Avatar, so the price is inflated at the outset and more importantly monetary inflation naturally means that the most recent films gross "more". In 1940 a cinema might charge $1 to see "Gone with the Wind" to go see a comparable movie now will cost much more. The best measure of a film's popularity is not ticket receipts but total number of tickets sold - on this measure ("bums on seats!") "Gone with the Wind" is easily the winner.... by a very long way!
Is 3D the future of cinema? I hope not! Because that would imply that the cinema will focus on the visuals at the expense of good storytelling. 3D is fine for a movie which is all about the visuals, but the best films are rich in plot and characters. I hope the visual component does not displace these other dimensions, I really do!

No comments: