Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Lit Obit!

For nearly two and a half years I have foisted my intellectual pretensions upon an unsuspecting world which, truth be told, never actually asked for my opinion, and the time therefore has come to wind up this blog. I have a couple of articles in the pipeline but, as promised earlier this year, I will not continue blogging into 2008. To be frank I don't feel entirely comfortable curating my thoughts in a self-aggrandizing way to the onlooking world as if my person has something special to offer... and yet I did also sincerely desire to make a statement of sorts about where I stand on some of the issues of the day. I have only "something special" in the sense that I have been touched by God's love, there is nothing special as such about me personally. I am hugely impressed by the number of really good evangelical teachers and scholars out there too - so I'm not sure what I'm adding by means of my 'blog' anymore.

It is true that a few years ago I wanted to explore the doubts and challenges which had occured to me as a Christian and see how they stood up to examination. Were my answers equal to the questions posed by non-christians? Were the answers really satisfying to ME as an individual believer? Being a Christian has not been a cosey experience - Jesus never said it would be! - instead it has caused me to explore the fiercest criticisms and my own misgivings to see how the Gospel holds up.

What the reader makes of these I will have to leave to you. By way of a general disclaimer; the opinions in this 'blog' are entirely my own and it should not be inferred that they represent in any way the views of the various groups of which I am a member - any fault is my fault alone. If at times I sound irascible I hope the reader will be kind to me and weigh what I say on its merits. If you are inclined to conclude that I am a poor representative to speak on behalf of Jesus Christ you are undoubtedly correct.... my life is not all it should be.... or could be.... or will be. And if you are of a mind to conclude that I cannot possibly be a believer think how much worse I might have been if I wasn't a Christian at all!

No comments: