Tuesday, April 26, 2011

MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS, also known as CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (CFS).
In the course of my 30 year career, most of it in a critical care setting, I have never seen anyone admitted to hospital with ME, I have never seen anyone in Intensive Care with ME and I have certainly never seen anyone die of it.
Not until now that is; in a recent court case Kay Gildersdale was acquitted of murder after killing her daughter who suffered from ME. This case is deeply troubling; are we saying that it is okay to kill people with psycho-somatic illnesses?
The Euthanasia lobby have welcomed the outcome of this trial and it sets a very worrying precedent. When people demand physician assisted suicide for the pain they feel are we discussing physical pain (which can be alleviated with opiates if neccesary) or are we talking about existential angst? By which I mean the pain of living in a fallen world?

No comments: