Wednesday, February 15, 2006

ST HELEN'S BISHOPSGATE,
LONDON.

Exactly fifteen years ago today, in 1991, I made the
move from Yorkshire to London thinking I would only
be here for a year or two. How wrong can you be?
I have been here half my adult life which is quite a
scary thought.

I have enjoyed London it is a great city with a real
buzz, but it can also be a rootless sort of place too,
where we all live together in civilised indifference.
As much as I have loved being a Londoner I cannot
say that this is where I would wish to retire. I am
of an age when I want to put down some solid roots
within a smaller community.

I am really pleased that I joined a good church within
a few days of my arrival and I've stayed a member
there since. It has been an enormous privilege to be
part of St Helen's Bishopsgate where the Bible
teaching has been second to none. I would never have
believed that I would end up in an Anglican church
coming -as I had- from a strictly free, charismatic sort
of church background. The fact is I had grown weary
of simplistic theology and pop prophecy but knew
enough to know that I craved some solid spiritual food
and that is something St Helen's has in spades. The
church also provided me with some sense of community
in an otherwise anonymous city.

It always seems rather a curious allegation that
Christians in general and evangelicals in particular are
"unthinking". The truth is as a Christian living in a
materialistic society I have been compelled to think
through so many issues and sift my own motivations
as God's word does it's work. You cannot simply
drift with the spirit of the age and be a committed
Christian - you have to swim against the current and
that requires thoughtful commitment from the heart.
Of course at this point the gainsayers will say that
St Helen's is too "intellectual" - you can't win can you?
Either Christians are too unthinking or they think too
much, if you're not guilty of the one they'll get you on
the other! You have to laugh don't you? It seems to me
that it isn't helpful to pay too much attention to the
attitude of the world.

Anyway! My point is if you are thinking of coming to
London and you're looking for a church why not
check us out!

www.st-helens.org.uk

I should add that the views expressed in this blog are
entirely my own as a member of St Helen's and it should
not be inferred that they represent any official position
of that church.
God Bless.






---------------------------------------------------------
tagline: Peter Swift. 1991. Guy's Hospital. London.
SHB. St Helen's. St Helen's Bishopsgate.
---------------------------------------------------------




No comments: